Sunday, February 14, 2010

Birdwatching in our backyard

I am not an avid birdwatcher, as I don't go hunting them down, but I do love to see them in my yard, especially after a snow as they are so stricking against the snow. I was glad that for once I remembered to go and get some more birdseed and actually got it put in the feeder before the storm. It took a while for them to come out and find it, but it was worth the wait. One Wed., 2/10 we had a lot of visitors. Some of the names I knew, some I was advised by friends and some I found in my Field & Guide to North American Birds.

Chickadee

Blue Jay
I love the markings on his back - Beautiful!

Junkos (aka snowbirds)

Tufted Black-crested Titmouse

We even had a little tift between the Downy Woodpecker and the Titmouse - Downy started it!

Northern Cardinal (female) and sparrow

Red-bellied Woodpecker

Then on Thurs., 2/11 we had some different birds show up.

Northern Cardinal (male)


This is the only squirrel I have seen out since the snow.

He was enjoying the seeds with the birds.

Sparrow

Dove

Rofous-sided Towhee

Northern Yellow-shafted Flicker

Harold was excited to have seen 3 different types of woodpeckers. Those are his favorite along with cardinals and mine are the blue jays.

Mockingbird -This one is normally to be found in the front yard terrorizing all of the other birds (and squirrels) and keeping them away from the holly bush and its berries in front of the house. She eats the ones in the neighbors yard that she lives in during the winter and mine is in reserve for the spring. She won't let any other birds near it.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures and I'm amazed at the assortment. If you'd made a video Miss Baloo would love you!

    ReplyDelete